Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Tomato seafood pasta with rocket



Our family eats pasta pretty often. That's because somehow, anything with a tomato-based sauce for children always goes. Like always. I can really just cook plain pasta with tomato sauce and cheese and they would think I'm the best Mom in the world. Super.NOT.kidding!

Since coming back to Germany, I feel like I've lost my cooking mojo. It's a lot of work to plan daily meals and ensure the toddlers have a nutritious diet to support their growth spurts, food is baby-friendly enough for a 11-month old baby and the whole cooking process does not take longer than 20 to 30 minutes.

And have I mentioned how evening time at the Tews household can look like a madhouse? The hub tries to come home at 7pm, but when he's late - by late I mean anytime between 5 to 15 mins late, I feel like I'm holding a time bomb that is waiting to explode.

Picture this. Baby crying because he's hungry. Kids are dirty from their kids' gym (every Tuesday) so they need to go take a shower, but of course they want either me or the Dad to shower them. I'm hungry and tired too, but I still have to prepare a meal to feed a family of 5. I'm barely holding it all together and when the hub rings the doorbell, it's like I really. REALLY. heave a huge sigh of relief!

Sometimes this sigh of relief translates to a "why are you so late?" grumble. You get the idea. The poor hubby. This is real life though. I'm not mincing words. I enjoy being a Mom a LOT but there are times when I so do wish I have an extra pair of hands to help me out.

This is why recipes like this one has saved me countless times from hungry kids. I posted this photo on my Instagram and Facebook and since quite a few of you asked me for the recipe, I figured I'm going to blog about it rather than give you sloppy instructions.

Ingredients:-

- 3 to 4 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1 large Onion (sliced)
- 250 grams fresh Brown mushrooms (sliced)
- 200 grams mini Cherry Tomatoes (washed and cut into half)
- 3 to 4 large Tomatoes (chopped)
- 750 grams Tilapia fillet
- 250 gram Shrimps
- 300 grams Pasta
- Handful of Scallops
- 500 grams Tomato sauce
- Rocket (washed and cut for garnish)


1. Prepare the ingredients. Chop the garlic, slice the onion and brown mushrooms.

2. Cut the cherry tomatoes into half and chop up the large tomatoes

2. Cut up the tilapia fillet. You want to cut it into big chunks because fish breaks up quickly in the heat and you want your fish to be intact

3. Start cooking your pasta according to how much time it takes to cook

4. Heat up some olive oil in the pan. Pan-fry the garlic until fragrant (about 1 min) before adding in the large onion. Make sure your heat is medium because you don't want to burn the garlic

5. Add in the fresh brown mushrooms, fry until it starts to wilt.

6. Add in the tilapia, shrimps and scallops altogether. Fry for a few minutes.

7. Add in chopped tomatoes with the packet of tomato sauce.

8. Season generously with Italian herbs, Krauter De Provence, salt and pepper

9. Cover for a couple of minutes to let the sauce simmer

10. Serve with pasta and garnish with rocket salad. I like my pasta with some chilli flakes, which I obviously leave it out for the kids.

Let me know how your pasta goes! I'm excited to see how it works out for you! Of course you're welcome to use other ingredients too! I'm not a fan of mussels so I never use that, but the Italians use mussels in their pasta dishes ever so often!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails