Monday, March 19, 2012

Life's lessons along the way

I met a little old lady today and thought that I should document it because it was such a blessed encounter.

I was on my usual daily walk with Sammy through the fields and spending time with God in nature. I'm in a season of my life in which each sunrise and sunset seem to be more "alive" to me. I'm not sick or anything, but I'm more conscious of how each day is a gift.

Anyway, I was walking past an old lady when she asked me if she could look into the stroller. I was like "of course!"

She took a look at Sammy and told me that I have a "gold treasure" and that I should cherish each day I have with him.

With this, we started a very intimate conversation.

She told me that she has 2 grown-up sons, one of whom is divorced with 2 children while the other one is happily married but unsuccessful at conceiving.

While she said that, I had to think of how having children is such a gift from God! That this privilege is not shared among all couples and how me waking up to Sammy each morning is something that so many couples who struggle with infertility would die for (metaphorically-speaking).

She then went on to add that her husband died very suddenly at the age of 50 (she's around her 70s I guess). That her husband was healthy with absolutely no signs of illness, but one day just died. Out of the blue. She was so shocked at his demise that she didn't even ask the doctors what the cause of his death was.

I must say that I was just soooo sad at her story! I mean, I don't know what the future holds for me, nor for us as a family but I know that I can't bear the thought of hubby leaving "earlier". Ideally, we both will live to a ripe old age with lots of grandchildren before going back to be with the Lord on the same day. Hubby has become such an integral part of my life that I can't really remember what it was like not having him in my life.

The lady was like, "Ok, I think we should part ways now cos I have disturbed you long enough". I was like, "No way! I really enjoyed talking to you!". I could sense that she was lonely, probably because her sons don't live close to her and she was after all a widow.

I had to think of how hard it is to be lonely! I know how that feels! I have Sammy with me 24/7, but he's still not at an age which I can engage in an intellectual conversation with him. But yet, he's still human, a living, eating and breathing person. So I technically am never alone by myself at home.

I'm thankful that God brought this old lady to cross my path today. He has reminded me of what I can be thankful about in my life. And I truly am. I'm thankful for each day my hubby and I continue to share this marriage and love each other. I'm thankful for this time when Sammy is a young baby and poos in his diapers, cos I know one day he's gonna leave the house. I'm thankful to be able to be a parent in the first place. And to be the parent of Sammy - I know every parent says this, but I'm going to say it too. Sammy's a really good and awesome baby. Love him to bits and its incredible how he makes me and hubby laugh! - Will post videos soon.

6 comments:

Bern said...

I agree, and don't think you're being biased here. Sammy really is an awesomely easy-going baby and totally adorable.

elainegan said...

an encouraging post to read! on days when I'm all frustrated with bub fussing her lungs out I thought she is better cared by others instead.
To realize (again) that not every couple is blessed with children, I regret thinking those negative thoughts and pray for strength mentally. Thks for sharing this :)

Pris said...

Bern - Thanks. Sammy does have his cranky moments too but overall I'm thankful that he has a pretty chilled personality.

Pris said...

Elaine - I think its perfectly normal to have negative thoughts as a parent. Nobody's perfect and caring for a baby is mega tough work! I keep telling myself that its still the best for the mom to care for her baby than to "outsource" it to someone else.

Annette said...

I don't mean to poop on your party, but I can't have the same sentiments when I see a baby born with horrible disabilities. You see, I would never dream of giving a less-than-perfect gift, especially not to "show how much grace can help to bear the pain" or whatever. A gift should be given unconditionally, not with an ulterior motive in mind, particularly if less than perfect.
Children a gift from god? I dunno.

Pris said...

Annette - Thanks for your comment. Give me some time to think about it and reply you ok?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails