Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Vanilla and Lemon Spaghetti with Rucola and seafood



Being stuck at home and having minimum human contact in order to maximum rest time for my throat, I´ve had to find alternative means to entertain myself. Figuring out that since I´ve got so much time, I should try out new recipes!!! That´s something I love about cooking. There´s no end to learning! And the joy of discovering a great recipe is awesome!

I got the car on Monday since my dear hubby took the subway. It gave me such a sense of independence as I drove myself to the doctor and later to the 2 supermarkets around the corner. Didn´t have to lug those heavy groceries back by myself :)

While I was at the supermarket, I came across a great-looking photo of pasta with rucola on one of the food magazines. Being the cheapskate that I am, I looked up the recipe, translated it into English and saved it in point-form on my cellphone! hah.

This was also the first time I experimented with a Vanilla Pod. I´ve read of this ingredient from various recipes and thought, why not give it try and see what the whole hype was about....boy, I was overwhelmed! The aroma of vanilla saturated the entire kitchen and gave this dish such a high-class, hotel-restaurant-type flair.

The pasta was melt-in-your-mouth, light and ever-so tasty. The lemon added a very zesty edge to it. I might experiment more with lemon in pasta from now on. Every mouthful filled our senses with that overwhelming satisfaction that food is such a gift from God!!!!

Ingredients:-

- 300 grams cherry tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 grams prawns
- calamari
- ½ vanilla pod
- ½ fresh Lemon
- Rocket salad / Rucola
- Chilli bits (optional: for a slight spicyness)

Instructions:

1) Wash and clean tomatoes

2) Put them in boiling water for 2 minutes until the skin starts to peel off

3) Wash them in cold water and remove skin

4) Put 3 tbsp butter in pan together with vanilla mark and vanilla pod. Cook for 2 mins

5) Stir in tomatoes, sugar. Caramelise the sugar on low heat

6) Cover tomatoes and let it cook for 5 mins

7) Remove tomatoes from pan

8) Chop garlic. Wash lemon in hot water, rub it to obtain the lemon zest. Cut lemon into slices.

9) Put 1 tbsp of butter and olive oil in pan

10) Cook it together with prawns, calamari, lemon zest and lemon slices. I used some of the lemon juice too for the flavour.

11) Season with salt and pepper

12) Remove lemon slices

13) Mix tomatoes with noodles.

14) Garnish with Rucola and chilli (opt). Mix well.

Bon Appetít!

 



The finished product complete with white wine

2 comments:

NicoleRobin said...

oh?? Vanilla spaghetti? doesn't it taste like dessert then? sounds sweet to me hehe

Pris said...

Hi Chrish, no the pasta wasn´t sweet at all. Didn´t taste like dessert. Can´t really describe the taste, except that it was awesome! Hubby said it was 5* Italian restaurant like.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails