Friday, November 30, 2007

Anything goes

Inspired by my friend, Serene I baked cinnamon rolls recently - twice as a matter of fact. The first time with pizza dough - which looked better but the dough was a bit hard and the second time totally DIY. I got to say though that the DIY one was sooooo much yummier! My kitchen was a disaster zone though. I wanted to take a photo of how disastrous it looked, but I couldn´t get the dough off my fingers to grab the camera! I used yeast, flour, butter - everything. And boy, I´ve never touched anything so horribly gross before.

The dough was like sticking all through my fingers and even went in btw my ring and my finger. I really wanted to throw the entire dough away when out of desperation, I prayed "God, pls make something out of nothing! You did it before when you created the earth so You can do it again!" I then felt inspired to add loads and loads of flour. I used double the amt of flour as stated in the recipe. Somehow it must have worked, cos I managed to get something decent and could roll out the dough. Hallelujah!

Stephan brought some to the office to share and I shared some with with my german friend who has two kids who really loved it too. Needless to say, I ate 4 of it on my own over a few days. Now, my goal would be to make hybrid cinnamon rolls, which look like those in the first pix, but that taste just like that in the second picture.......

With pizza dough - pretty on the outside but not that tasty on the inside

Do-it-Yourself, ugly but incredibly yummy. God knows best!

My first-ever duck noodles
I made duck noodles, which turned out really good too. Hmm, a bit short cut. I bought frozen roasted duck from the asian store and simply put it in the oven. For the duck noodles, I found out a pkt of instant noodle which was duck flavoured. So I used the duck flavouring but cooked it with normal chinese noodles instead , (while discarding the "instant noodles") and wa´lah! Duck flavoured noodles with duck! A drawback though - the duck only came in one size (700grams). I ate duck for 3 days (cos I couldn´t re-freeze it anymore) and by the end of the 3 days, I declared a voluntary unbefristet duck fast.

I´ve been reading. Finishing up my half-read books that I´ve accumulated over the months. My current book is "The call to Intimacy - finding rest in the love of God" by Tony Horsfall. One thing that I´ve been trying to practise is how to hear the voice of God through the regular humdum of the day. To find the sacred in the ordinary.

1) Read the moment - to take time to notice, observe, use my 5 senses to be aware of what´s going on around me.
2) Reflect the moment - Engage my mind to look beneath the surface, what is God telling me through what I´m sensing?
3) Responding to the moment - Allowing what we have seen or felt to have a place in our heart, and allowing it to grow there, upward to God and outward towards other people.

3 comments:

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

I gave up on pizza dough as the satisfaction didn't last. Foccacia dough was much better but the best would be to get the bread dough from your baker - if you do not want to DIY, of course :-).

Pris said...

Dear Serene, nobody seems to know what "foccacia" mean! I asked like everybody I know, my MIL, Stephan, people in general. Apparently I can have bread flour for Ciabatta bread. Do you think that´s a ok substitute?

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

It's the thick bread that Italians eat normally salty as an apperitive.
But I think any type of bread dough (as long as it rises) will do, no need for Ciabatta.
DIY is best but argh, the mess.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails