Thursday, September 27, 2012

Stewed Mushroom with Chicken


This is another dish that we love! By "we" I mean Sammy and I. It's another recipe that came from my confinement food book but oh man, pregnant or not, this dish is delicious!

Its so easy peasy to make that I could have it everyday. Hubby has not tried this dish yet because I made it for myself for lunch. I didn't intend to feed Sammy this meal because I thought it tasted too "Chinesey" for his liking. I did offer him a spoonful to try though and oh boy, was I in for a surprise! 

Sammy usually stops me from feeding him with a shove of his hand once he is full. However, this was the first dish that he ate bite after bite with such enthusiasm that he finished the entire portion of food! Between the two of us, we polished off 5 chicken wings and a couple of mushrooms with rice!

I do wish that I had taken a more appetizing photo but in my rush to devour the food, I didn't bother to take a second shot as back-up.

My late maternal grandma was Cantonese and she used to cook a similar dish too - but without the chicken. The soft, chewy texture of Chinese mushrooms infused with the rich gingery flavour transported me back to my childhood days when the entire extended family (Grandma's 8 children and their respective children) would gather at her place for a multi-course Chinese dinner all cooked by my grandma of course.

Ingredients:

- Ginger (120grams, sliced)

- Garlic (5 cloves, chopped)

- Sesame oil (5 tbsp)

- Chicken breast (350grams, diced)

- Soaked Chinese mushrooms (100 grams)

- Water (500ml)

- Rock Sugar (10 grams)

- Light Soya Sauce (2 tbsp)

- Dark soya sauce (1 tsp)

- Pepper (1/2 tsp) & salt to taste

1. Fry ginger and garlic in sesame oil until fragrant.

2. Add in the chicken and soaked mushroom and stir-fry for a while.

3. Add in water, rock sugar, soya sauces, pepper and salt. Mix well.

4. Lower the flame and simmer for 10 minutes.
(I simmered it for wayyyy longer so that the mushrooms would be really soft and tender, while soaking up the taste of the sauce)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails