Friday, January 07, 2011

Cantonese Fried Rice

I've been stuck at home. Haven't been feeling well so when doc gave me a couple of days of sick leave, I decided to use the chance to catch up on my sleep and blog of course!!!

So thankful that the weather is becoming warmer. At least its no longer -10 degrees outdoors! Temperatures over the next few days will hover around 0 and 10 degrees! Now that's something to look forward to! Whether or not the warmer temperatures are here to stay remains to be seen.

Yup, today I decided to experiment with a new fried rice recipe. I remember when I used to go to Chinese restaurants in Singapore, their fried rice always tasted sooo good! I don't really know what they use in the fried rice, but my mom used to say that its the heat they use to fry the rice that makes it so fragrant.

I don't have a fire stove in my house, only an electric one. So I can't generate that type of heat. But nevertheless, I somewhat remember the type of ingredients that are used in the rice and came up with my own version!

Hmm.... when I was frying it, the smell that filled the kitchen really reminded me of those Cantonese Fried Rice I used to have!

Ingredients:

- 2 / 3 Chinese sausages (sliced. You can get them in Asian stores)
- A bunch of spring onions (cut into smaller pieces)
- 3 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
- 2 Shallots (chopped)
- 500grams of Pork fillet
- 3 cups of rice (cooked and cooled down)
- Oyster sauce
- Soya Sauce
- Pepper

1. Season the pork fillet in 3 tablespoons of Lee Kum Kee's Char Siew Sauce overnight.

2. Grill pork in the oven for about 20 mins until its cooked and a bit charred on the top.

3. Heat up a wok and throw in the chinese sausages. Fry for about 2 mins until the oil comes out.

4. Add the chopped garlic and shallots. Stir-fry for another 2-3 mins, ensuring that they don't burn.

5. Add in the cooked rice. Fry, while removing any clumps in the rice.

6. Add in the grilled pork and spring onions. Fry till fragrant.

7. Season with light soya sauce, dark soya sauce, oyster sauce and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly.

8. Scoop out the rice into a bowl.

9. Beat the eggs and fry them like an omelette. When its almost done, quickly break up the omelette into little pieces and mix them with the rice.

10. Serve and eat hot! I like mine with pork floss. Yummy!
What the rice looks like when its all broken up. This dish is awesome especially when you love barbecued meat!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails