Thursday, October 28, 2010

Paris part 5 - Moulin Rouge

Going to the Moulin Rouge never really crossed my mind when I was planning for our Paris trip.

While Dad was mega keen on it, the rest were not. I on one hand, thought it was a tourist trap but on the other, was curious enough to want to see what a cabaret is like. The movie with the same title starring Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor was pretty well-done and I wanted to check out the real thing.

Upon asking the concierge, who claimed that it was "family entertainment", Dad was bought over. Younger brother didn't have the appropriate suit and tie so I stepped in as date for Dad. Its not cheap though, costing about 100€ per person, which Dad sponsored, cos I would never spend that amount of money to check something out. We did receive a complimentary bottle of Champagne though.
 Moulin Rouge with the windmill - Just like in the movies!
 With Dad.... Just so you know how "touristy" it really was, there were tour buses stopping in front of the Moulin Rouge and tons of tourists queuing up for the tickets outside. We were fortunate in that we had already bought our tickets through our hotel, so we could skip the queue.
 Couple shot

My verdict?
I could barely understand 10% of the entire programme, because it was in French. There were lots of tall, long-legged, slim and half-naked women with elaborate costumes prancing around on the stage. There was also a solo performance of a woman swimming in a see-through glass container with a snake etc.

My favourite segment has got to be where a ventriloquist joked with the audience in English, French and German. That was the one part which I felt slightly resembled "entertainment" as what I think it should be. Other than that, one can really save 100€ and put it to better use..... like fine dining for example!

However, it is still worth watching this once in your life. And it was somewhat cool going on a date with my Dad in Paris. Its like going on a Gondola ride in Venice, though I got to admit that my 80€ (for 2 pax) on a Gondola ride was definitely more worth it.

 Moulin Rouge
82 Boulevard de Clichy
75018 Paris, France
01 53 09 82 82

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best con entertainment of the century!!

Must give my hats off to the organizer..

Pris said...

DeanO - Thanks! :) I enjoy blogging so I try to find time to blog even when I'm very busy. It does take up a lot of time, but I see it as investing in my English writing skills. :)

Pris said...

Hey Dad
I won't go as far as to say its "con", because it IS a cabaret. But it certainly wasn't worth the money! Still, we were simply paying for the brand name of "Moulin Rouge".

Room to Think said...

Hey! Loving the photos and travel posts...my husband and I will be going to Europe next August for his brother's wedding so we hope to visit a few places. Looking forward to seeing the Louvre and other great sights! Hope you've been well...we're still, well, trying...but I'm learning to trust in God's timing. Hmm...I'm guessing you never got my email all those months ago? :)

Pris said...

Room to think - Hey dear!!! Oh wow! You're planning a European trip next year!!! Its gonna be awesome!!! There's soo many things to see here.... I think I vaguely remember you sending me an Email. Have I not replied you yet?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails