Monday, September 13, 2010

Pad Thai

Sorry for the influx of food posts lately. I've just been tired and wanting to spend more time doing other things than think of "insightful" and "meaningful" things to write. In any case, if you're following my blog, you've got to be somewhat interested in food, so I figured it can't be that bad if I write about just that right?

At least I share the recipes here...(I used to think it was a waste of time to type out recipes) Only thing that I can't share is the food though. Wouldn't it be nice if virtual food could be teleported through the computer screen into the comforts of one's home? That would be beyond awesome! And I can be 100% sure I won't have to slave in my kitchen anymore.

I do believe that if I strike it rich, I might seriously considering investing my resources into R&D in the area of teleporting food all across the world!!! Do you even think its possible?
Pad Thai has got to be one of the most popular Thai dishes both in the East and West. 

Coming from Singapore, where Thailand is just a stone throw away, I have always loved eating Thai food. Its very similar to Chinese food, but differs in the ingredients that are used. For instance, fish sauce is used instead of soya sauce.

The secret in this dish lies in the condiments. If you've been to Thailand or an authentic Thai restaurant, you'd realize that they usually give you a separate plate of condiments, consisting of bean sprouts, coriander, peanuts, chilli powder etc.

I didn't think that the condiments made such a difference, but they really do!

So without further ado, here's my adapted recipe of Pad Thai:-

- 250 grams thick flat noodles
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp tamarind
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200 grams pork fillet, thinly sliced
- Raw prawns, as many as you like
- 100 grams fried tofu, julienned
- Handful of beansprouts
- Handful of coriander
- Handful of chopped peanuts
- 1 lime, cute into wedges

1. Soften the flat noodles in hot water, drain. Wash under cold water to prevent them from sticking together. Set aside.

2. Grind / Pound chilli, garlic, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and tamarind mixture

3. Heat a wok until very hot. Fry egg till cooked and set aside

4. Heat the remaining oil, add the chilli mixture and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the pork, prawns and tofu. Stir-fry for 1 minute.

5. Add the noodles, egg and half of bean sprouts. Toss to heat through.

6. Taste. Add more fish sauce / sugar / lime according to preference.

7. Serve immediately topped with coriander, remainder of bean sprouts, peanuts and lime.

Have any of you tried cooking Pad Thai before? Any recommendations to change / adapt this recipe?

Source: Adapted from Sizzling Wok by Periplus mini cookbooks

2 comments:

Lil Ms Meanie said...

I wish for the day when food can be teleported too ;)
And do keep the food recipes coming. I've adapted one of yours and it turned out perfect for a noob like me :)

Pris said...

Hey dear! :)
Thanks for telling me that you tried one of my recipes! Cool beans! :) So nice to know that I "value-added" to your life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails