Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pandan cake success

We had a church service-cum-lunch today and I tried making Pandan cake again after my last attempt (here) .

This time I used all the ingredients that Cynthia so kindly sent to me from Singapore - namely Pandan Paste, Pandan essence, cream of tartar and sponge cake stabilizer.

I also tried a new recipe, using 6 eggs instead of 4 eggs in the previous one. Apparently, the more eggs you use the more difficult it gets to handle the cake.

So I guess the fact I could use 6 eggs and the cake came out great, shows that my baking skills are improving! The taste was much stronger this time, the green colour came out and the cake was way firmer than the previous time.

At first I thought the cake would be a failure when the top cracked, however upon Internet research, I realized that it was really quite normal.

Here´s mixing the batter and all the different ingredients that went into the cake

Just before it entered the oven....its green!!!

The cake is its entire goodness! It didn´t break up, was soft, moist and airy! Just right for a great pandan cake! I think the appearance could be improved, but tastewise, it was awesome!

So firm, it can stand on its own in single pieces...woo hoo!

The cut-up slices topped with icing sugar...a western addition to this Asian cake

Recipe for Pandan Cake
- 6 egg whites
- 125g castor sugar
-1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100gm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 5 tsp corn oil
- 1/2 tsp pandan paste (I used 1/4 tsp, but felt that the pandan taste could be stronger)
- 1/2 tsp pandan essence
- 1 tbsp sponge cake stabiliser (optional)
- 100gm thick coconut milk
- 140 grams flour + 1 tsp baking powder

Instructions:
- Heat oven to 180 degrees celsius

- Whisk egg whites, sugar (125gm), cream of tartar in an electric mixed until stiff (doesn´t fall out when you turn the bowl upside down)

- Whisk egg yolks, sugar (100gm) and vanilla sugar until light and creamy. Add in corn oil, pandan paste, pandan essence, thick coconut milk and sponge cake stabiliser. Mix well.

- Stir in sifted flour (twice) and fold in carefully and gently to mix

- Pour egg yolk mixture lightly into egg white mixture. Mix evenly with plastic spatula

-Pour batter into an ungreased 22cm tube pan.

-Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until cake is well browned and stick comes out clean when inserted into cake

-Remove cake from oven. Invert pan immediately. Leave to cool, then remove cake from pan with the help of a thin-bladed knife.

- Top off with icing sugar (optional)

It was such a success that other than the one piece I tried at home, there was nothing left after the lunch today. I expected that people would be cautious about trying it since it was green, but my friends really liked it! :)

Keen to try? Let me know how yours turned out! I´ll try out another pandan cake recipe sometime this week and will compare both.

Oh, I´m on a one-week break from work because I´ve got a throat infection, that resulted from having a cold and slight fever 2 weeks ago. My voice has been very unstable. When I don´t talk, its ok. However, after 3 hours of consecutive teaching, my throat starts to hurt and I´ve been popping tons of throat drops. So doctor says I shouldn´t talk much for 1 week, have my antibiotics and rest. Yah...so I´ll have to figure out how to entertain myself for 5 days without talking!!! Any ideas?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails