Friday, April 25, 2008

Work blues - love my enemies


I need to let off some steam.

Lately, I´ve been going through some rough patches in my workplace. Who would have known that teaching would involve so much office politics too?!?

There´s a rumour going around the school that I taught "switch OF" instead of "switch OFF"?!? I had a mini-prepositions review during one of my classes and did some examples of "on", "of", "to", "from"....you get the idea. When I did "of", I remembered one of the guys asking if its the same as to "switch off". I said "yes it is, but with a double F".

What on earth is wrong with the guy, if he heard wrongly and misunderstood what I said? Did he have to start a rumour such that my manager asked me today to write the sentence "to switch off the light" on a paper? You don´t have to be a genius to know that its to switch "off" and not "of"! The only thing that my manager said that perhaps its due to my pronounciation. The Americans would say "made of something" in terms of "ovvfe".... like "love", whereas I pronounced it as "off". But I did clarify myself when the guy asked me! I even said "double F".

I felt so disgusted and pissed off. Its one thing to misunderstand something, its another to go ahead and spread a rumour in school! Plus, that happened only yesterday, which means that the rumour must have spread so quickly such that my manager heard about it within the next day!

Now, if only I can remember what the name of the guy is, I´m going to personally strangle him. And yet, I´m supposed to "love my enemies" ahhhhhhh!!!!!! Help me Lord, to forgive the unforgiveable..... (at least unforgiveable to me).

I guess it hurts more, cos I really do put in my best to teach! I´m not paid much and I feel that I´m doing what I´m doing now, simply cos I´m passionate about it. And then, people just turn around and stab my back like this! Wah.......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the real world..full of deception, lies, untruthfulness, hatred, politics..etc..May God help us to be wise as serpent but harmless as doves..
The next time, provide visual as well as sound to explain things..visual by writing...
Stand up and approach the person in humbleness and clarify any misunderstanding with him. Remember adopt visual and sound..

Anonymous said...

Smile at him, after all life is short..We have all sort of persons..and he is just one of them...confused, disturbed, and probably 'self pride'...
We need to be very careful with our words, speak slowly and be precise to state each letter is different...
Sometimes, as Asians, we tend to speak quickly and sometimes swallow our words..
No harm if it is spoken in a steady, slow and clear manner...with authority perhaps..but not pride...just let them have the opportunity to catch up with the spoken words..again do the visual to double verify or confirm the exact words spoken...have fun..

Pris said...

Dear Dad
Thanks for reading my post and posting a comment so quickly. U know the funny thing? I was writing down everything except this "off" word. And the one thing I didn´t write had to be the word that he misunderstood right? I do make it a point to speak slower. Thing is, I don´t know who was the one who spread the rumour leh. Will have to simply talk to the class and just clear the air.

Cory said...

Hey Pris, sorry for reading your blog late. I totally understood how you felt. Especially when you feel VERY MISUNDERSTOOD!
I think I was too sheltered in the past with nice colleagues. It is difficult not to be affected by what you heard what others said about you. I think we have a lot to talk about when you are back in Singapore!
Take care and hope God will bring more angels around you in your workplace.

Pris said...

Dear Cory! =) Yes! I had to think of you when I blogged this entry! Hahah. Yes,do share your work experience with me! Would love to hear from you! Yah, I have prayed about forgiving this person, whoever it was. Quite happy that I will only see that class once this week- which gives me time to clarify the issue on Tues and then one whole week to get over it! =)

Cory said...

Hey Pris, thks for thinking of me when you wrote it! I guess sometimes it is really frustrating at times like that. For a moment, I hoped that God kills. Yeah, gotta repent. I talk less to that person now to prevent my hatred from growing and not to hold any hard feelings!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails