Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Singapore 2011 part 3 - Hainanese Chicken Rice

Many people in Germany ask me, "So what's Singaporean food like?"

I'm usually stunned because Singaporean food is so versatile and there are so many different origins of Singaporean food that its hard to answer that question in one sentence.

Yup so I'm going to introduce you to some of my favourite Singaporean food. The first on the list has to be Hainanese Chicken Rice! 

A hot favourite among both tourists and locals, the chicken rice is so good that one can eat it on its own. Of course for added spice, one should savour it with its signature chilli garlic sauce and/or dark soya sauce. The chicken is usually available either roasted or boiled and one can also order a side dish of dou miao (a type of Chinese vegetable) and char siew (barbecued pork) with it.

Chicken rice is a staple in many food courts, but if you really want the famous types, you should go to those flagship stores that only sell chicken rice. I'm no expert for the best chicken rice in Singapore, but the one near my Dad's house is good enough for me!

Back home in Germany, I either rely on Prima Taste or make chicken rice myself - which I must admit has only been done once cos of the sheer amount of work required.

The entire meal that was enough for 2 people
 Hubby who likes durians, but doesn't like chicken rice, ordered fried beef hor fun (flat noodles) instead. It was beyond yummilicious. This store also sells regular zhi char (individual cooked dishes).

Wee Nam Kee Hainanese Chicken Rice 
275 Thomson Road  #01-05 Novena Ville, Singapore

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicken rice is one of my fave SG foods too :D

Pris said...

Hey Bev!
Yeah! I remember you blogging about Wee Nam Kee chicken rice during the Singapore day in Shanghai. So they are apparently pretty famous. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails